Friday, July 27, 2012

Sweet and Sassy Stuffed Mushrooms

Okay y'all, I was born and raised in the South, but lived in the Pacific Northwest for several years and developed a taste for big, juicy, melt in your mouth cherries. I used to love to go cherry picking. It was one of my favorite pastimes and fondest memory of Oregon. When I lived there I created a delicious recipe that infused sweet cherries, mushrooms and wild rice. Over time I've added a few more ingredients to give it a sassy kick.

Nothing says yummy in your tummy like sweet and sassy stuffed mushrooms. This is a quick summer treat to help you beat the heat. Enjoy y'all!

Ingredients:
24 large button mushrooms, cleaned, stems removed(reserve stems)
about 1 pound cherries-pitted, stems removed
2 tablespoons Feta cheese
8 oz. apple maple chicken sausage
1 cup cooked wild rice
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
ground peppercorns and sea salt to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil



Directions:
Preheat oven to 400ยบ F.
Place mushroom caps on foil-lined baking sheets; set aside.
Remove sausage casings if needed.
In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat cook mushroom stems, fennel and crumble sausage until brown, drain. Remove from heat
Combine wild rice, chopped cherries, feta cheese, pepper and salt, add sausage mixture.
Fill each cap with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with feta and chopped cherries if desired.
Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and lightly browned.
For the finishing touch, drizzle with olive oil.






Where I party:

Hookin Up with HoH

Foodie Friends Friday
PhotobucketCast Party Wednesday

2 comments:

Shannon Lawrence said...

Those look good! I never would have thought of that combination. I just returned from Oregon, visiting family in Amity; lived there until I was 7. Beautiful, isn't it?

fromcalculustocupcakes said...

I don't think I would have come up with this combination, but it sounds really good. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday.

Post a Comment

Thank's for stopping by.Y'all come back!