Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Foodie Pen Pals: July Reveal! Homemade Goodies

The Lean Green Bean


This is my first month to participate in the Foodie Pen Pals program and I'm so excited to be part of this great group!

And now it's time for some details about Foodie Penpals. 

My Foodie Pen Pals friend was Sheri at Bring me my coffee. Thank you so much Sheri for the yummy gifts.
I sent Foodie Pen Pals to Dawn at DJ's Sugar Shack Check out what I sent her.

I can't believe all the yummy in your tummy goodies I received from my foodie penpal(thanks Sheri). My box came while I was at work and I was filled with anticipation wondering what treats I would come home too after 10 hours at work. I couldn't believe all the wonderful things she sent. I got several assorted jams and jellies along with "real" Vermont maple syrup. Sheri sent homemade candy(yummy!) and a special treat that I sure needed after a hard day. She sent bath salts. She made my day even more special. Sheri also sent me a lovely hand written letter on a beautiful note card with a beautiful beach scene. She sent a copy of her local news paper as well, loved the added touches!






Now on to the goodies:
My husband loves the Vermont Maple Syrup and so do I!
My grandson and I were crazy for the homemade caramels. Yummy!
Now the jams were my favorites. I made a BBQ sauce with the homemade apricot jam.

I threw about 1 cup of apricot jam along with 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar in a boiler, brought it to a boil, reduced the heat and added the juice of 1/2 lemon, 1/4 cup brown sugar, mixed well and continued to cook over low heat about 30 minutes until desired consistency. I like my BBQ sauce thin and this sweet sauce is great served over chicken wings or my favorite bacon wrapped chicken livers y'all. Don't be shy, try it and tell me what you think!

I can't thank Sheri enough for my great and yummy in my tummy goodies.

Lindsay at the Lean Green Bean put the whole thing together.


In case you’re a new reader, here’s a reminder of what the program is all about:
-On the 5th of every month, you will receive your penpal pairing via email. It will be your responsibility to contact your penpal and get their mailing address and any other information you might need like allergies or dietary restrictions.
-You will have until the 15th of the month to put your box of goodies in the mail. On the last day of the month, you will post about the goodies you received from your penpal! 
-The boxes are to be filled with fun foodie things, local food items or even homemade treats! The spending limit is $15. The box must also include something written. This can be anything from a note explaining what’s in the box, to a fun recipe…use your imagination!
-You are responsible for figuring out the best way to ship your items depending on their size and how fragile they are. (Don’t forget about flat rate boxes!)
-Foodie Penpals is open to blog readers as well as bloggers. If you’re a reader and you get paired with a blogger, you are to write a short guest post for your penpal to post on their blog about what you received. If two readers are paired together, neither needs to worry about writing a post for that month. 
-Foodie Penplas is open to US & Canadian residents.  Please note, Canadian Residents will be paired with other Canadians only. We've determined things might get too slow and backed up if we're trying to send foods through customs across the border from US to Canada and vice versa. 
If you’re interested in participating for August, please CLICK HERE to fill out the participation form and read the terms and conditions. 
You must submit your information by August 4th as pairings will be emailed on August 5th!




4 comments:

Debra said...

I love that you made apricot-BBQ sauce out of that jam. What great homemade treats!

Ellen B Cookery said...

What a lovely package and wonderful idea!

bringmemycoffee.com said...

I'm so glad that you enjoyed the treats! This was my first time participating, and it was so much fun. You've given me a good idea, there, with that bbq sauce! I'll give it a try, and maybe tuck that into the next box (with credit to you of course!). Sheri

Joyce said...

I love this idea, not ready at this time, but in the future I would love to participate.

Post a Comment

Thank's for stopping by.Y'all come back!