Saturday, July 7, 2012

Best EVER Skillet Fried Chicken



Since I'm new to the whole food blogging scene I wanted to search out other food bloggers. I found this great challenge at Mom’s Crazy Cooking. The CRAZY COOKING CHALLENGE is hosted by Tina and gives other bloggers an opportunity to feature one specific food item each month on the 7th. The catch is it can't be your own recipe. You have to share another bloggers recipe, make it and blog about it. This month's challenge is fried chicken ya'll.

Now since I am from the South, I make fried chicken like my mama. I don't like change, but I found a great recipe for fried chicken over at Two Hot Potatoes hosted by Angela MonDragon and Sarah Wicker.

The recipe is to die for ya'll!



Best EVER Skillet Fried Chicken

2 tablespoons kosher salt (I used sea salt ya'll)

2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

1 1/2 teaspoons paprika(I changed this to 1/2 teaspoon because my family doesn't like spicy)

3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper(I left this out and used seasoning salt instead, I used 1 1/2 teaspoons)

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1 3–4-lb. chicken , cut into 10 pieces, backbone and wing tips removed(I used just chicken legs and breasts)

1 cup buttermilk

1 large egg

1 1/2 – 2 cups dill pickle juice

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon cornstarch

(for frying) Per Bon Ap- use Peanut oil, or Per Ang- use equal parts lard & vegetable oil

Me personally, I prefer Crisco. (From Granny Annie)

Place chicken in a medium bowl with enough pickle juice to soak, cover and leave at room temperature for at least one hour.

Place all dry ingredients  in a large bowl and whisk to combine.

Whisk buttermilk and egg in a medium bowl.

Pour oil into a 10″–12″ cast-iron skillet to a depth of 3/4″. Prop deep-fry thermometer in oil so bulb is submerged. Heat over medium-high heat until thermometer registers 350°. Meanwhile, set a wire rack inside a large rimmed baking sheet to the side.

Working with 1 piece at a time (use 1 hand for wet ingredients and the other for dry ingredients), dip chicken in buttermilk mixture, allowing excess to drip back into bowl. Dredge in flour mixture; tap against bowl to shake off excess. Place 4-5 pieces of chicken in skillet. Fry chicken, turning with tongs every 1–2 minutes and adjusting heat to maintain a steady temperature of 300°–325°, until skin is deep golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of chicken registers 165°, about 10 minutes for wings and 12 minutes for thighs, legs, and breasts.

Using tongs, remove chicken from skillet, allowing excess oil to drip back into skillet; transfer chicken to prepared rack.

Repeat with remaining chicken pieces; let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.

Important Tips
Work with room temperature chicken. It will fry much more evenly
Don’t crowd the pan, you’ll bring down the oil heat too quickly
It really helps to use a thermometer so you can adjust the heat of the oil accordingly
Resist the urge to double coat in flour. You want the flour to season and the skin to get crispy, not soggy skin underneath thick batter, yuck!
As you pull each cooked piece out of the oil, gently shake it and let it drain off the excess for about 10-20 seconds. You’ll be amazed at just how much oil comes off, and less oil left on the skin makes a crispier bite for you.

I give this fried chicken recipe two ya'lls and three yummy in your tummies. Thanks Two Hot Potatoes for making this Southern granny's mouth water.

Now nothing goes with fried chicken like melt in your mouth homemade buttermilk biscuits, sour cream and chive mashed potatoes and homemade Colby Jack shell mac 'n cheese.
Yummy in your tummy ya'll. Enjoy with a tall glass of sweet iced tea!

15 comments:

Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes said...

I have never heard of pickle juice in fried chicken ...... I am intrigued!

Lisa Weidknecht said...

Thanks for joining the Planet Weidknecht weekend hop! I'm a new follower!

Jen @JuanitasCocina said...

LOL! Two y'alls and three yummy in your tummies! Sounds fabulous!

#46

Cynthia L. said...

Love your tips and love your accent, ya'll! Great recipe!

Tracey @ The Kitchen is My Playground said...

Welcome to 'The Challenge,' Granny!! This fried chicken is classic! I'm a (transplanted) Southern girl, too, so am glad to see buttermilk in your recipe. :-) Buttermilk makes EVERYthing better! (And thank you for including my blog badge on your sidebar.) It's nice to 'meet' you, Granny.
Tracey @ The Kitchen is My Playground (CCC #7)

The UDG said...

I really dig the usage of pickle juice. Sounds yummy!

#19

Chaya said...

The pickle juice is quite an addition. I have to try that.

Jaime Lyn said...

I'm all for anything that uses pickle juice!! Gonna have to try that with my next batch of fried chicken!

Have a great weekend!

Jaime
#23

Catrina Bradley said...

Pickle juice, huh? Intriguing! and all of those pictures of fried chicken are making me rethink my choice of tuna salad for lunch today. :)

Words Of Deliciousness said...

Your chicken sounds so yummy, nice and crisp. I was surprise to see pickle juice as one of the ingredients.

Melissa said...

Pickle juice? I love it! I love pickles and the addition of pickle juice in fried chicken is so intriguing! Great SRC pick!

I'm CCC #10 :)

A Scientist in the Kitchen said...

Spicy and crispy chicken are love. Check out mine #54

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh this chicken looks delicious!!

AndreaBai @ Glam Hungry Mom said...

I have been CRAVING fried chicken! I am so glad you posted this :)

XOXO
your newest follower

www.glamhungrymom.com

Kristin said...

Yum...using pickle juice! I need to try it!
#6

Post a Comment

Thank's for stopping by.Y'all come back!